Thursday 21 November 2013

Magazine Front Cover (First Draft) & Explanation


Explanation
I designed my magazine using Photoshop. My magazine meets my target audience in many ways. It first meets my primary audience as it has a dominant photo of my subject Sophie pulling a provocative pose which can only be represented by a woman following a feminine stereotype therefore meeting the needs of my primary audience of women. It then meets my secondary audience of men as this provocative pose would intrigue them to pick up the magazine. I chose to photograph Sophie in a medium shot at eye level with the reader. I did this so the reader feels of a similar importance to Sophie, this is also reinforced by the idea that Sophie's eyes are looking directly to the audience making them feeling included and hopefully enticing them to pick up the magazine. Sophie's body language creates sexual connotations which may show representations of her musical style which attracts my primary audience of women who are interested in her genre as she portrays her indie genre instantly by this pose as this is also a typical indie pose found on other magazines by indie artists such as Lana Del Rey. The indie genre is further shown by the featuring bar at the bottom of the bar which includes many indie artists which, if the rest of the cover hasn't already, will entice the audience to pick up and take an interest in this magazine if they follow this genre.

I decided to place my masthead 'Forte' in the left hand side of my page due the left side third rule and the idea that a readers eye is instantly drawn to the left so from that my audience would keep reading the masthead and hopefully remembering it for future and therefore buying more of this magazine in the future.
I also used the left side third rule for a few of my stories in my magazine, here I placed what I thought people would be most interesting so when the eye is drawn to the left side third they are persuaded by these features to buy the magazine.


I placed my puff in the top right corner, this goes against the left side rule but I made it bright and stand out as much as I could in order to gain attention and therefore gain attention from the audience to this side of the front cover rather than the audience purely focusing on the left side. For my puff I also used a number of fonts to again grab attention however I decided to use the idea of an iTunes download for my puff as these days people don't tend to be interested in posters or CD's and the main means of music today tends to be iTunes therefore persuading the reader to buy this magazine in order to get the free iTunes download, this was shown in my questionnaire I did earlier which shows more people listen to music through iTunes than any other media people also listened to music through YouTube due to the idea it's free which is why I combined the two ideas together to gain a wider audience who will buy purely for the iTunes download however once they buy it they may be inclined to read it which they would hopefully enjoy meaning they'll buy future magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment